Friday, September 3, 2010

School Starts...


After a quiet July that ended with a clean scan, I stepped into an August that was full of travel and activities... Monika and I spent a weekend in NYC for a friends thesis exhibit, then another weekend near the finger lakes for a photographers' gathering, before heading to NC for a week of friends and image making, then back home for a short camping trip before driving Lucas down to Goucher College... plus a couple of lovely weddings tossed in for good measure... I did more in the past month than I did collectively in the past year and a half...

Now school has started and the exciting routine of teenage chaos mixed with creativity has begun... It feels good to be back at my trade... All the events of the past year and a half have created a lot of grist to expand and inform my teaching.

Next week I'll see my naturapathic doctor to discuss results from recent blood tests and adjust my treatments accordingly. I'm still taking a daily bucketful of supplements so I'm hoping that the blood results show a continued payoff in my healing.

It turns out I have a hernia! For months I thought it was just some residual discomfort from the operation, but it turns out to be a hernia in my groin. October 1st I'll have outpatient surgery to repair it. They tell me I'll miss a week or two of work while I recover. I hope not. So now I have pre-op blood and EKG tests and an x-ray scheduled...

All these things serve to distract me until the end of October when scan #2 is scheduled...



6 comments:

  1. David: Always thinking of you with positive thoughts. I am sure you will continue to have good reports. Happy new school year and good luck with the "little" surgery.
    Jody MacNeil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David,
    I'm sure the "chaos and creativity" will be both a balm and a blessing for you. That kind of energy has positive vibes to surround you -- you are loved by all, I wager, so thrive on the work you do so magnificently.
    Glad to know August was such a fine month. With all you've endured, what's a hernia among friends?
    Luck and love,
    Sue and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. Enjoy teaching!! I wish I were still in your class!
    xo Courtney Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with everything Prifi!! I think of you often as I drive past your house daily...I miss your classes and charm :) I love hearing the good news about your scans as well, my fingers are crossed for you and I am sending healthy thoughts your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,
    Things are moving in the best possible direction. Sorry about the hernia....good for you that you have a little routine problem, though.
    Love you all much
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David, It's Tom. Remember, your long suffering roommate from MGH?...Ha. I've been out of work all this time learning to be a full blown diabetic, since they took the whole darn thing out on me....but like you, I've lived to enjoy the long hot summer and look forward to many more. Being diabetic has turned out to be an annoyingly fun little challenge, with insulin pump and electronic glucose sensor constantly texting me warning beeps if I'm up or down or just right. I'm happy to hear of your travels and often consider the payoff for your bold actions. I recently lost a wonderful young coworker to this blasted disease. He was an all-smiles kind of guy, who accepted his fate and only a short time later was gone...just last week, and I never knew. I would have sent him your way along with a marching band and a gaggle of cheerleaders to see what the will-to-live and a good team can produce. My best to Monika. I still have to laugh at your pain in the hospital..not because I'm like that, but because of your jokes and good nature between gasps for air. May God continue to bless you and all your family....nice job trooper. Tom Kemp (VT)

    ReplyDelete