Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Scan #3: Clean!



NO CHANGE!!

My oncologist reports that all indications are good. There has been no change in my scans or my tumor markers, indicating no cancer activity. He noted that my news is atypical, as pancreatic cancer usually comes right back without treatment. He says that with each scan I can feel that my odds of survival increase. I'll have my 4th scan at the end of April, marking the 1 year point since the IORT operation. At that point we'll push the scans to every 6 months. After 2 years I can start to feel optimistic, but by the 5 year mark I will be considered cured.

This week I had a fair amount of anticipatory stress as I awaited the appointment. That's a pattern of every scan result. The impending snowstorm increased that stress when I thought I might not make it in due to weather.
It's difficult not to futurize negative outcomes. In this week leading up to today my mind has been playing out how I would deal with the next few days if the news was bad. Would I go to school and start my second semester classes tomorrow? If I have only 6 months to live would I teach? What would I do? Monika brings me back to the reality of the moment, and that the decisions we make are based on the facts we have. For nearly 3 months I run around happily leading an almost normal life, the cancer a minor player in the shadows... then I have a scan and it reminds me that I still live with another reality...

Every clean scan brings me a bit closer to closing this chapter of my life...

19 comments:

  1. Just got out of my chair and made a little leap into the air.
    Joy, joy joy joy joy. Pure joy.
    Love ya
    ~V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will sleep better, bro. esteban here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Prifti, you're amazing! You've worked incredibly hard for this result, and you deserve it.

    Noah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always knew you were one of a kind and now it is being scientifically proven! Couldn't be happier... thanks for working so hard to hang around with all of us! Big love.

    PS LOVE that image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Such good news. I can imagine the anxiety you are describing, but you have worked so hard for yourself and I am thinking it is paying off.
    Jody MacNeil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am over-the-moon excited and relieved! Great work, bless you.

    Heather Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! What lovely wonderful news! SO happy to read this this morning when I got up!

    Stora kramar
    camilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good news!!!!
    Love
    Margaretha o HÃ¥kan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to all of the above. Soo thrilled to hear the news! The strength of your positivity and essence of yours and Monica's love is truly kicking ass. (;
    We watch in awe from afar...much love, Kym, Maya and Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible news!!! Susan Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic news. Thank you for sharing it so powerfully with us. Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best possible Groundhog Day news ... almost as though the rotund rodent is tap-dancing for us ..... yippee,we sing .....

    ReplyDelete
  14. David, so happy for you and Monika and your families that is good news. My best wishes god out to you for the 4th scan. LOL karen g

    ReplyDelete
  15. One step closer... Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Dave,
    Mirabile dictu, this IS Miraculous news! Your effort, determination, great treatments, and more have all resulted in Death to the Invader. Each scan step moves that Invader out of your life. Kudos to you! We are so happy!
    XX Sue & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good to hear!
    -Amanda B

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy and thrilled! Thinking of you and very best, Leslie & Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just saw this ... so thrilled to hear it! That is wonderful news.

    xoxo,
    Cara O.

    ReplyDelete