Friday, September 16, 2011

Update


Sorry it has taken me a few days to get this update to you. One of the reasons for my tardiness is that school started back up, so I've been running between work and the hospital and coming home exhausted and dejected to walk the dog and crash. The other reason is that David seemed stuck in a cycle of mental confusion and sleeping, and I could not get a sense of where things were going.
Yesterday David was much better, and almost back to his own self, at least mentally. Just the day before he was hallucinating something crazy. A sampling of his drug-induced wisdom:
"This room looks like a Japanese kid's room." (About his hospital room).
"Raw fish, raw fish, just like at a Japanese birthday party."
"Look at those big flowers all over the wall. It's very Japanese." (He was on a Japanese kick that whole afternoon. He had had a Japanese nurse in the room for a couple of minutes.The day before that though, he had been in a Vietnamese restaurant for most of the day....)
Then he was ordering food. He was starving. He hadn't eaten for six days, and circled some 12 items off of the menu, including, soup, turkey pot pie, mashed potatoes, gravy, butter, rolls, blueberry pie, vanilla custard and chocolate ice cream. Then he turned to Amanda and said:
"You're not going to eat my food, are you?"
"No, of course not. Why would I?"
"Maybe you are trying to be Japanese."
"Why, is that what the Japanese do? Eat your food?"
"Yeah-uh! When their economy is in the tank it is."
Then he turned to me with an accusatory look, and said
"Monika. Will you stop playing with my urinal! They'll think I'm the crazy one."
I told him I would try to refrain myself.
Later he told Deb she couldn't stand up because she had a snake wrapped around her leg.
We were much amused, but it was also very worrisome. I couldn't tell if his confusion was strictly drug induced, or if there was something more dire going on. That was why it was such a relief to see him yesterday, completely lucid, and with his faculties back to normal.
Over these last few days he has been through a lot. He has been given 12 or so bags of blood. They did a procedure where they went in and unclotted his stent, which had become blocked. That went well, but he is still retaining fluid. He stopped bleeding, then started again. His blood values have been stable, then dropped again. Today they performed a colonoscopy, to try to figure out where he is bleeding from. David was up all through last night, prepping for the colonoscopy, so he is very tired today.
More later.....

Peace and love,
Monika

3 comments:

  1. We are so sorry to hear that David is back in the hospital. We are thinking of David and you and all the time. Sending lots of healing thoughts.
    Please let us know if we can help you with anything. Is he to tired for visitors?
    Zander and I started to go to the Tom Tam healing center. Zander is doing a little better since we started to go there.
    We want to bring David to him when he gets back from the hospital. He has healed a lot of people. Check out the link below.
    http://www.tomtam.com/

    Lots of Love from Anki & Jon xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping us up to date. I'll be sending the "Big Guy" Upstairs some serious shout outs for Dave. Jackie had told me that she hadn't seen him in school since last week. I told her that he was back in the hospital. We love you Monika and Dave. Love also to Luke and Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Monika, but even in such a state, Dave's hallucinations with the food and Japanese are so funny. It reminds me of when you guys used to tell me what he said when he would wake up sleepwalking.
    Please feel better SOON!
    xoxoxo
    korndingo a.p.

    ReplyDelete