Monday, July 19, 2010

Taking the plunge...



I'll be getting my first scan early next week, and will get the results from my oncologist on Wednesday the 28th.

This will be my first contact with the world of MGH and my cancer team since the operation in March. I've enjoyed being in a sort of limbo, quietly enjoying the summer while having no contact or interactions with the medical world. I knew this first scan would be coming, but was able to keep direct thought of it somewhere off in the ether...

So here's my situation:
A. If the IORT operation was successful in killing all the malignant cells in my tumor AND I didn't have any metastatic cells floating around my body, then I'll have a clean scan and can rest easy for another six months till the next scan.
B. If I had metastatic cells and they have begun to grow in other organs they may show up in the scan. If so, I'll have few treatment options beyond more chemo, and I'll be in big trouble.

I'm hoping that all the work I've been doing with conventional and naturapathic treatments as well as diet and mind/body work will have kept the cancer isolated in my shrinking tumor, that it was killed by the IORT and the scans will bear that out.

They tell me that after 2 years of clean scans I can start to rest easy, and after 5 years they stop looking, since nobody with active pancreatic cancer lives for 5 years...

So this is scan #1...



13 comments:

  1. Sending all good thoughts your way, Prifti. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get down on bended knee and say some prayers for you. I'll also have my mom say a few for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and luck are coming your way, always,
    from Sue and Tom. We'll be thinking of you during and after the scan -- not that we don't think of you anyway, dear Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David and friends,

    Sorry to have been distracted by my own life for so long. But I have read the posts of your amazing journey and sensitive commentary on the human condition over the last year.

    Inspiring, funny, creative.

    Thanks.

    I was inspired to post by running into Lucas at West Concord 5&10. Great person.

    Good bless you!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,

    Just thinking of you and hoping for the best next week!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. so happy that you have had a good summer free of docs, hospitals et all! i will keep you in my positive vibrations love to your lady.robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi dave,

    jan and i have very good feelings about your pending results....good luck!! tell monica and the kiddos we pass along our good wishes.

    jan and alan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Prifti,

    I am sending all my good thoughts to you for positive outcome on Wednesday. I hope that you are enjoying the summer so far with your family.
    emily poole

    ReplyDelete
  9. hoping for good news on Wednesday - hoping you are enjoying this magnificent day - hoping you are in a serene and satisfied place - best -
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. prift, thinking of you lots and so glad for your swell summer at home... miss you SO MUCH and sending good thoughts your way!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big, good vibes from across the miles on this latest stage of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be saying extra prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete