Monday, June 13, 2011

Home Again...



Just as I felt I was gaining strength and health back from my long MGH stay, I woke up early on the Friday of my 50th b-day, feeling like I was going to die of chills and delirium......Monika's previous post describes the day nicely...

Birthdays have never meant very much to me, and this year all I wanted was to have a small meal with the handful of friends who saw me everyday at MGH and got me through the ordeal with their love and daily presence, so I could thank them for getting me to #50. So I'm glad I was still able to do it...

The rest of the 4 days were spent trying to determine specifically what type of infection I had and to see if there are any issues with the stents or surgical sites from the MGH work. Happily (so far) everything seems fine in the scans with all my previous issues so we are hoping that this is just a separate infection that will not have ramifications in an ongoing way.

I will be receiving 10 days of IV antibiotics at home with the help of a visiting home nurse service. They will train me how to administer the antibiotic and be on call to help with any issues that arise...

Even in the comfort of a single room, and with me having only a few medical things done to me each day; I realized how much I needed to be out of hospitals right now. I was starting to become anxious that I'd have to spend another couple of days until all test results were in, or worse, that they would send me back to MGH for observation. I need a chance to build my identity away from hospitals and sickness, and my being back in the hospital set me off. My stress was considerable, but luckily my local GP doctor came everyday to see me and he understood that I would heal better at home, so he made it happen. I still may end back at MGH with bigger issues, as we chose to go down a perilous road with lots of risks, but for now at least, it's back to quiet methodical healing and rebuilding in the sanctuary of my garden and home, hoping that this infection is unrelated to all my other issues and that I am on track to become healed...

Time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you're home, clearly the best place to be. Dave, I know Monika told you that I was in contact with her during your last MGH stay. As soon as you feel ready, I would like to come and visit you both. I wish I could have come before. When you have time and feel up to it, please let me know when I can come by.

    I read this blog every day, even if I don't respond every day. I wiped away tears all day when I read your stents were successful. It's been too many years and I would love to see you again.

    Heather (Norrod) Smith CCHS '91

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you are home where you can heal well. You and your family have been and will be in my thoughts.

    Amanda B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave, you are one brave soldier, kicking them infections in the butt, and now that that lil' battle is over, I'm glad you can be back int he comfort of home. How wise your analysis of not being the hospital patient mindset vs. rebuilding the body in the personage of your home surroundings, which, I hope I may visit you, for just a day, when my school odyssey ends.
    Till then, strength, sunshine and love,
    Korn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there David,

    There's no place like home to heal so many things. You and Monika are in our thoughts and prayers...

    love, steve and tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,
    Hang tough. Thinking of you down here in Louisiana, and look forward to seeing you again at Coffer's if I can ever bring myself to leaving the lovely August weather in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Prifti,

    Hope the gorgeous weather this past week has continued to heal and energize you. Sending good energy your way my friend...

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Dave and Monika,
    I have been very out of touch and preoccupied with other stupid matters. I happened to read everything tonight. I am so sorry for the ordeal that you've been through! I am so glad you are home and healing....definitely the best place for you. So glad to hear that your garden is in and you can watch the fruits of your labor.
    We love you and always think of you....stupid of me to assume that everything was ok.
    Best,
    Paula, et al

    ReplyDelete