Saturday, June 4, 2011

Home...



Well, I made it home yesterday after what can only be called a very difficult 17 days at MGH. I come home with a fair amount of healing left to do, and a lot of things to balance as I transition back into my life.

My care at MGH was extra ordinary, from the team of doctors that managed my VERY complicated case to the nursing staff which was truly amazing. I dodged a lot of bullets during this stay and am really lucky and grateful to still be around. The level of knowledge, support and caring I received was like nothing I have ever encountered at a hospital (and I am used to getting very good care). The nurses and aids helped me through some pretty dark times...and I am most grateful.

After I was stable and able to be free of machines and IV's, it became clear to me that I needed to get home to really heal. Time is suspended in the hospital...day and night blur as you get checked 24/7, tested and attended to as buzzers go off, people moan, and staff rush around... you never really sleep and are always out of balance. At times, I needed LOTS of care and then lots of vigilance to make sure that I had stopped bleeding and it was safe for me to go back on blood thinners and prepare to go home.... So now that I am home, I can bask in the peace of my garden and the presence of my beautiful family. I already feel stronger.

The coming weeks will bring some challenges that I have to work through, but at least for now, I am in a great place, and hope to get my body back on track...

Thank you to all my friends and family by my side that saw me through this and for all of you who have kept me your thoughts...

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you're home and healing, Prifti. I'm so glad you received such excellent care. I've been thinking about you and Monika a lot this week. Many moons ago I remember eating brunch at your Brighton apartment (you had a lizard called Simon, maybe?), and I think it may have been the first time I realized I could tunnel out of my suburban upbringing, be happily married, and possibly be an artist. I took a circuitous route (of course) but I credit you with playing a part in all of that. Sending love, hope and much healing your way as you soak up sunshine and warmth in your garden...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such GREAT news David, home is truly a special place; yours and Monika's in particular. Heal and rest my friend....

    love,
    steve and tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. May Mother Nature pour extra-special healing into you, dear Dave. Our thoughts of strength are with you and Monika. Welcome home!
    Tom & Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears of joy are at the edges of my eyes as I read this update. My prayers continue to be with you and your family.

    El na refa na lah.
    Please God, bring healing.

    May the One who was a source of blessing for our ancestors, bring blessings of healing upon David, a healing of body and a healing of spirit. May those in whose care he is entrusted be gifted with wisdom and skill, and those who surround him be gifted with love and trust, openness and support in their care. And may he be healed along with all those who are in need. Blessed are You, Source of healing.

    Amen.
    Tami Breazeale

    ReplyDelete
  5. DAAAVE! I am soooo happy and full of joy to hear that you are home and healing especially after such days in the hospital. I know, no fun, but it does sound like you got amazing care there and for that it is very fortunate. Now to enjoy the beautiful weather, your garden and all the peeps who love you to pieces!
    I hope to visit when school is over at the end of the month....till then,
    love love love, yours korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you're home. I will continue my prayers for your healing.
    <3,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave- glad you are home. On a selfish note, thank you for your comment on Mass General. Many have suggested Sherry have her chemo at Emerson, but I think we will stay with the General.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prifti, happy birthday! I love reading these blog posts and knowing how you are doing. I keep you in my thoughts all of the time and miss you tremendously. You are an inspiration to all, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I admire your strength. Keep fighting.
    With lots of love,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday David! I am so glad you are home and with your family. We will keep you in our prayers.
    Lots of love,
    Karen and Howard

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Prifti!!! xxo, Anne in L.A.

    ReplyDelete