Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Turning it up a notch...


In a few weeks I switch to a regiment of radiation and chemo...everyday for 5 weeks. I am anxious about the new regiment, because it will involve a portable pump for the chemo connected to a port that will be installed into my chest... I've been handling the chemo well enough so far so I hope the new stuff won't be debilitating. I won't miss the weekly infusions, by the second week it really knocks me down for at least a day.

I have this next week off chemo and hopefully on Saturday I will take a canoe trip with an old friend/mentor who will be up from Baltimore. We plan to follow the route that Thoreau and his brother took up the Concord River in 1849... they went all the way to Concord New Hampshire and back...but we'll just paddle up to the Merrimack if we can get through the Lowell canals. The increased energy I have on my weeks off should make this doable. Looks like rain though...

Many friends and community members have been working hard to help me and my family get through this...preparing meals, rides, water delivery, household labor, acupuncture, reiki, prayers, thoughts and support...

I can't express how grateful we are for all your help. It make a huge difference to us every day. We are blessed.

THANK YOU.
-d

6 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,
    You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. I hope the next steps aren't too difficult but thankfully any discomfort will be temporary. Your matter-of-fact walk through this detour are an inspiration to us all!
    Luv ya,
    Paula, et al..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi prift,
    sending good vibes your way for starting your new regimen but especially, a lovely canoe trip...
    xo diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey dave!

    you are getting all the help and support because you deserve it and it because you are such a wonderful and inspiring person! both you and monika are such amazing people. it is so sad to be so far away from you guys...

    a canoe trip sounds nice! i hope the sun will shine on you!

    btw, my uncle was operated on 2.5 weeks ago, and is supposed to come home tomorrow. everything went well (few minor setbacks after the operation, but nothing big)

    i hope the radiation won't be too rough on you. you and monika and mandis and lucas are in my thoughts a lot!

    många kramar
    camilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,

    An enriching trip on the river is just what the soul needs... enjoy. sending love and good thoughts.

    love, steve and tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the paddle :) You know I love you to pieces!
    Korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dave:

    Moving onto another regiment is really encouraging! That's a really good sign.

    Keep up your good work!

    Susan E

    ReplyDelete