Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Rest...

I will have 4 days to rest this week starting on Christmas Eve day through Sunday. I'm at the half way point for the radiation and chemo treatments. So far the main symptoms are fatigue some intermittent pain for a few hours after treatments. Overall pretty bearable, really. During the day I feel full energy and am able to teach, so I'm hoping that continues into January. It has interrupted my going to yoga, but I'll start back up in mid January when this course is over.

The biggest challenge for me is staying positive and focused on healing. Knowing that my odds are so bad... creeps into my mind when I'm tired and weak. Generally though, I feel pretty positive about how this is going and I know that the fact that the cancer hasn't grown is good news. So I'm staying the course.

The radiation is trying to damage the DNA of the cancer cells and either kill them outright or interrupt the DNA enough that they die when they try to divide and replicate. Our hope is that the kill rate will be enough to shrink the tumor to an operable state. Short of that, no growth would lead to more a intensive radiation procedure... Those will be the discussions of mid February...

For now I will enjoy the next 4 days rest and the holiday gatherings with family and friends. That, I have come to realize, is the most important thing...

I wish you all a wonderful holiday with those you love...

Peace,
David

9 comments:

  1. Love the pic! Florida? Hang in there--the holidays are always a mixed bag but it's great that you have so much energy and your students are so lucky to have such an awesome Proffe. Now is break time for all of us exhausted teachers so do rest up and let the inner Pac-Man get them bad boogers out of ya!
    Much love!
    Korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    You are an inspiration to all of us with your openness and courage. Thanks for keeping us informed -- we send love and blessings to you and the family -- and heaps of hope that 2010 will see you cured.
    Stay true. Enjoy the hols.
    Love,
    Tom & Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. David: Amy, Louie, Jim & I are thinking of you and wish you a great Christmas with your family. Good positive thoughts.
    Love, Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and Monica (by all means)
    Anki has updated us about your condition and I also got this address for your fantastic blog. I wish for you and your family a peaceful Christmas. I also hope that you, when you're cured, should write an inspiering book about living, your so good at both. /ia & gerth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas with your family and that it fuels your strength!
    Amanda B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello David,

    Just saying hello and wishing you and your family the the best. You remind me of jimmy stewart from it's a wonderful life... rich in friends and beloved by all... take care, we're sending good thoughts.

    xo, steve and tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dave,

    We are thinking of you and the rest of the family! Keep up your spirits! As the scholar Forest Gump said, "life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." So keep eating a lot of chocolate!

    Doug & Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear David,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We are thinking of you everyday. Keep your positive thoughts going and take care.
    xo, Karen and Howard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our New Year's wishes will be for you!
    xo
    Julie & Deb

    ReplyDelete