Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year

We call this "chicken TV", It's our chickens looking in the window - watching us...

As this year comes to a close, I've been in this cancer fight for six months, and it has dominated my actions, thoughts and activities. I have parred my life down to the basics of healing, family and as much teaching as I can do. My art making and work in the community has for the most part been put aside, and my frenetic, workaholic pace of living has been turned into a restful, more meditative approach to each day. The days of me having ten projects going at once are over. This simplification of my actions and my approach to life has been a very positive thing, one that I will largely continue if I make it through this.

I am learning a lot about myself, and am becoming a better person through it. However, I wouldn't recommend this particular path for a self help process... it's no fun.

Six months with no meat, dairy, beer, French bread, cheese, potatoes, BBQ, ice cream, sugar, Pad Thai, coffee, Chinese food, peanuts, cookies, pie, hot dogs, all Albanian food esp lamb, did I mention BBQ and beer? ...you get the idea... so here I am, 50 pounds lighter, wondering if I'll ever get any of these basic life essentials back! If I do, they will be enjoyed in moderation, and fully appreciated, each bite slowly savored...

Yesterday, I had a small cheat. An old friend came over and I made him coffee and put out a dish of Monika's gingerbread cookies. After watching him while we talked, I decided that I NEEDED to try a cookie, so I made a small cup (one inch deep) of coffee and milk, and took a small cookie. Over the next hour as we talked, I smelled the coffee, occasionally dipping the cookie and then putting a tiny piece on my tongue, leaving it there until it dissolved. I could almost taste every ingredient as a separate, subtle element; the ginger, sugar, butter. The intensity of the flavor was sublime, and I loved every second of it, even though in the end, I had most of the coffee left... the cookie however was gone. Last year I would have eaten 8 cookies at a sitting, so fast that I would have barely noticed the flavor.

The radiation and chemo are starting to cause more symptoms as I get into the final two weeks. My focus is to make it to January 15, and then I get to be free of treatments till mid February when I get scanned.

I once again would like to thank all of you who are helping me through this, your love, support and kindness mean more to Monika and I than we could possibly express, and I wonder if we could be managing this trial without you. THANK YOU.

Happy New Year. I hope this new year brings good to all of us.

xo D

22 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts and the photos (shots) that you post with them. Your poetic revelations about everything are so meaningful to reflect on. Keep up the good work on the healing front. With that list of things you're not eating, it begs the question what are you eating? A hug to you and Monika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to eat a cookie slowly. thinking with guilt about you and all the crap you are going through. But I ended up woofing it down -thinking of you and the small delights you have opened yourself up too. here's to Joy! Here's to many many joyful moments for you to come in 2010! Joy to Monika and you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us of the important task of slowing down and savoring lifes gifts all around us. I love what you have written and look forward to your practices of meditation, yoga and healthful living continuing for years to come. May this be a tremendous year of renewed health, joy and peace for your whole family. Namaste, Kym, Vincent and Maya

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Prifti, Happy New Year, I am on a sympathy diet and am trying to eat what you eat....so please send me some of Monikas cookies. We love you. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want chicken TV on my cable line up... calling comcast today!

    I love the thoughtful, articulate postings here as they refelct your thoughtful, articualte approach to life. Inspires me to retool my own habits and sharpened my focus on the ones I love this holiday season... especially you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chicken pic! Happy new year - my best to you and your family.

    Thinking of you, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year my friend. The chickens are fabulous and your posting was incredibly beautiful. You've inspired us all to slow down and savor the moments as well as the cookies that make the moments. I only wish you the best and smooth healing. You are doing such an amazing job--hope the udder balm helped!
    Love you sooo much,
    Korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, David -
    Thanks to Gaby I have a link to your blog and an opportunity to follow your journey as I come to the wind-down part of mine. My last chemo and radiation treatments are on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday - then I'm free for a month until an MRI in early February lets the team and me know what has happened to Astro, the tumor that chose to reside on the motor strip of the right hemisphere of my brain. it's been six months since the seizure revealed the little troublemaker's presence, and once I learned of your situation you, Monika, and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers as we travel similar paths toward healing.
    I am hopeful each day that we will continue to surmount these challenges and that we'll continue to learn and grow in love and compassion in the process. Your words are an inspiration to me!
    I send my love and so much more to you all -
    peace
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dave,
    Is chicken TV a reality show? Are the contestants vying for a new coop? To be the chicken with the biggest breasts? Or are the chickens all severely personality disordered and forced into multiple team building activities?
    We continue to follow your journey and you are never far from our thoughts and prayers. I know you would prefer not to be a hero but you are.
    We love you Dave,
    Paula, et al

    ReplyDelete
  10. David... Happy New Year! To the chickens, is it People TV? Judging by their gaze you all must be very entertaining.

    You continue to be in our thoughts each and every day.

    Bill & Fam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Prifti,
    You are always an inspiration. Your post made me stop and think about savoring the moments- your ability to continue to see the silver lining and share your journey is remarkable and inspiring. - Heather Wright

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would echo all that's been said here David... The eloquence of your struggle is humbling amidst all the chaos of this life. Your description of the cookie is such a reminder of how mindlessly we consume without even thinking, and how everything is a gift whether or not we know it.

    Thank you for sharing your struggle with us hopefully knowing that you, Monika, Amanda and Lucas are in our hopes, thoughts and prayers always.

    Wishing you and your family a healthful and vibrant new year.

    love,
    steve and tina

    PS. Chicken TV kicks Yule Log outta da park!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. David, greetings from India. I loved reading about your cookie meditation, and the chicken tv picture is a classic. Sending all the healing vibes I've got. take care and I hope to see you soon.

    -john

    http://www.yogawithjohn.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dave,beautiful descriptions of what so many of us take for granted.Every morsel is to be savored.Best wishes in the new year! Tom

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely. Thank you David.

    Anne & Paul

    ReplyDelete
  16. David, first happy New Year to you and yours. I hope you have a prosperous 2010 and regain your health. Thanks for the reminder to savor every moment. I very much enjoy reading your postings here and especially on the collodion forums. They are insightful and inspirational and they lighten my heart somewhat knowing you are still participating everywhere you can. I hope that continues for a very long time. I'm looking forward to seeing some new work from you and hope that will soon be possible. Take care my friend. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  17. May 2010 bring health and more peace to you -- those chickens are keeping their eye(s) on you, bringing you good luck, for sure. We have wild turkeys who look in our kitchen windows....not quite as pretty as your birds, but we try to put on a good show for them as they do for us.
    Sending love and good wishes as always,
    Tom and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the expressions on the chicken's faces. Thinking of you as 2010 kicks into gear. Although it's like you said -not necessarily the ideal path for a self help experience - it's kind of amazing the way you have changed your life over these last months. You've inspired me to savor every ingredient of the cookie. I send my best to you and the family and the animals.
    -Joanna F.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts and discoveries. Never again will I eat a cookie quickly -- or shorten a phone call with one of my boys, or break away from a hug before it's ended -- I shall savor the moment and not hurry to the next. You are in my thoughts daily as is Monica and the twins.
    Love,
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the chickens! Today is your last day of treatments and we are all praying that the scans will show positive results. Albanian blood is strong. Stay positive and enjoy another cookie.
    Karen and Howard

    ReplyDelete
  21. ITS JANUARY 15! CONGRATS DAD FOR FINISHING RADIATION! i am very happy for you, i know it has been really wearing and hard. your amazing, love you

    amanda xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah for finishing radition day!
    hope to hear updates soon, love and love yous,
    AK. Korndingo

    ReplyDelete