Thursday, February 11, 2010

Some light at the end of the tunnel...

Some good news today.

We met with my medical team to go over the latest scan, and the tumor has shrunk a bit smaller and is stable (not spreading). My radiologist said that it seems to have shrunk off one of the veins, but not yet enough for the whipple operation. I am eligible for intra-operative radiation, which involves an operation that cuts down to the tumor and then uses a protective cone to apply lots of radiation right onto the tumor without doing much damage to surrounding tissue. Several approaches/outcomes are possible; 1. They go in and radiate the tumor for 1.5 minutes and try to kill all of the cancer cells. 2. They go in and see that the tumor is smaller than they thought and will go ahead and do the whipple procedure to remove the tumor and surrounding tissue on the spot. 3. They go in and see cancer in other organs, and stop attempting the procedure because the cancer has spread and containment is not possible.

Sometimes, the cancer can be killed completely by the intra-operative radiation and if there is no other cancer in the body; it is cured... leaving only dead scar tissue.

This is what we hope for...

I am meeting with the surgeon on Tuesday and the operation will be scheduled ASAP.
In the meantime, I continue all the diet, supplements and alternative care work that has helped to get me here...

- David.

The drawing above was done by an old friend during the first week of my diagnosis. He did a bunch of drawings showing the cancer being purged or exploded from my body... it wasn't until we later learned about the intra-operative radiation procedure that we realized how similar his drawing is to where we ended up... He's going home tonight to do a bunch of drawings of me as an old man...

30 comments:

  1. I look forward to the old man drawings and seeing how they compare to you actually as an old man in another decade or two. I'll be praying that your procedure goes extremely well and that your cancer is cured. Shalom & love, Tami (Sanderson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news! I am so happy for you.

    Amanda B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a rumor recently and know its confirmed to be true. I'm sorry to here what is going on however I am thrilled to here of your news. You've always held a special place in my heart and you will always be in my prayers. The best of luck with this procedure and most importantly God Bless you and your family. Love MaryLou Buffone Pierozzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me happier than I've been in forever!!
    You are amazing! Tell that tumor who's boss ;)
    I am positively giddy with hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am routing for you!! Your optimism and dedication is inspring. Keep making art and keep on keeping on! -Brooke H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing you with the whipple ball inside--a glowing whipple ball no less. This is great news and I am certain the outcome is going to be favorable--woo hoo we LOVE you! Keep up the good fight, my hero, my friend, Dave Prifti.
    xxoo
    love always,
    Korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly he's got your signal! And it's wonderful to hear that you respect the timing and potency of your dream. I had a similar one during a very dark time nine years ago. It was a turning point in my awareness and my life and a tuning fork ever since. May it be for you too!!!
    Love and best wishes to you and your family in the days ahead. - Cherrie (aka Rosie's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there were so many people waiting in spirit with you for today (February 11th) to hear the update. It is very hopeful news and as always so inspiringly relayed by your writing. But what's all this about a wiffle ball? xxoxoxoxoxxxxxxooooxoxoxo, Fishbein

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-o-zowa, Priftiman. That is great news so just keep doing what you're doing and we'll all keep visualizing you as an old crazy Albanian.
    tons and tons of love.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats the best news i've heard in a long time! Smiling ear to ear!
    Mega-love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news David!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Great news Dave! I am so happy to hear this.

    Lots of love and big hugs,

    Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great news Dave!

    Lots of big kramar to you and the rest of the family.

    Åsa & Patrik

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really good news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dave.... So happy to hear the positive news lately! Sending big hugs to squeeze that cancer right outta there. Just read your entire blog from start to the present....Your insights have reminded me of all the things I need to make time for...thanks...I will start today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tremendous! I'm sending you shrink and radiate vibes, keep up the fantastic work.


    While you're at it, you might have that kid draw you
    surrounded by bags of money and good looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Prifti! This is awesome news. I am so happy for you! I'm coming home for Easter weekend and I am going to make it my goal to track you down and give you a big hug. Your strength amazes me.

    -Katrina Goulden

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so happy to read this news from you Prifti! You're going to look great as an Old Man!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YEEEEEEEsSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! David, I will draw as an old man, a young man, any kind of man you are or aspire to be--JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER!!!!!

    We're so happy to read this news.

    Love, love, love, love,

    Anne and Paul

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Dave! Fist bumps, high 5's, muchos besos tambien!!
    Cupid's arrow knows where to go!!

    Big love!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great, great news Prifti! Sending you good Karma from out here in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  22. such great news - can't wait to see the new drawings

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the first time i've looked at this blog, since i always heard it first hand, but i hope you get better dad, i love you
    -Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy news. Keep us posted. I can see you now as an old man--cute old man!!Love, Jody

    ReplyDelete
  25. such encouraging news david!! i've been holding you in my thoughts and prayers and surrounding you with healing light..and particularly thinking lately as i remembered something about the 11th. so this is a fabulous report!! will continue to hold you in my thoughts as an example of what can happen with positive belief and support and good diet and focus! yippee!best for the intra-operative radiation- xoj&g

    ReplyDelete
  26. David and Monika,
    I've only met you a few times (I work for Gus) and have always enjoyed how pleasant the two of you are. I felt horrible when I first heard of your diagnosis and have been thinking of you consistently ever since always hoping for the best. I will have you in my prayers.

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  27. very good news Dave. I think about you everyday.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  28. D --

    Just catching up with the latest shrinkage news - great to hear! I hope that today's visit to the surgeon has given you a new goal date for all the work you've been doing.

    Much love,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete