Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally...


I't's the day before Friday's operation. I have regained my focus and am eager to enter this last big phase of my treatment.

I'm taking this day to rest, be mindful, and spend time with Monika. We'll probably play scrabble (I'll lose), then walk the dog in the woods. I'll go to yoga one last time for a while, then we'll have a simple meal and be early to bed.

Tomorrow I get there at 6 am to be prepped for the 8 am operation. Unless they find bad things and the operation ends fast, I should be done before 11. I will be staying at MGH for 5 days, before I get plopped on the sofa at home like a skinny version of Jabba the Hut for a few more weeks of healing.

There is so much riding on this procedure that it forces me to be reflective of the entire arc of my illness over the past 10 months. Apart from the difficulty of the treatments and the upheaval of our daily lives, I am certainly not the same person I was back in May; before I dropped 25 % of my old body with a healthy diet, and cast off probably another 50% of my old mind, attitudes and approach to life. This part of the illness has been a blessing, and leaves me with a model for how I hope to keep living if I'm able to get past this disease. I have shed a LOT of my old self, and am living a much more paced, appreciative and present life.

I'm SO ready to finally get this operation done...

We will try and get information on how it went, room info, etc... posted tomorrow night...

Thank You for all the supportive thoughts!

25 comments:

  1. Dave -- I just went to a seminar last weekend at MGH where they talked about the procedure (intra-operative radiation) and what good results they are seeing. You are in great hands there.

    Sending you many positive thoughts-
    Susan Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prifti... you have changed many lives and you continue to teach. Your illness has improved me as a person. I have really good vibes about tomorrow and again I say " you are the chosen one" ..you are the one that will beat this completely and give hope to so many others who face the evil tumor. Hugs Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending happy thoughts and positive energy!
    - Leslie & Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave & Monika - Watching your progress from afar & today sending you good vibes from North Carolina ... the general odds & stats mean nothing, you're your own sample of one, and you will prevail! xoxo Tom & Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prifti,

    Thinking of you and hoping for the best results possible. Have a nice peaceful day today!

    -emily poole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David and hi Monika,

    This note in case you don't get to your email. Best wishes to you both. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Have a good walk in the woods. Enjoy yoga. And perhaps today Monika will let you win at Scrabble.

    Ward

    ReplyDelete
  7. David
    You are in our hearts. Stay strong!
    Love,
    Petro Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife,Cathy my boy, Evan and I are all thinking real hard on you and yours Prifti. You've not only been an inspiration through your work, but in following your challenge and writings these last months, through your life as well. Here's wishing you, Monika and the kids the best of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. best wishes, dave. you, monika, and the kids are in our thoughts. we're looking forward to good news in a day or two.

    alan and jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thoughts and love for Strength, Courage, and Healing Health to you for tomorrow -- and always!
    You are a wonder and a marvelous example to us all.
    XX
    Sue and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  11. God's speed David, You have changed the lives of those around you...
    We send prayers, good vibes, and the kitchen sink for good measure.

    I didn't know Jabba had a northeastern accent!!!

    love, steve and tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck tomorrow David.....all positive energy is being sent your way along with faith and prayers. Wishing you wellness and a speedy recovery.

    God Bless you
    Elaine (Guitarini) Heller

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dave,
    I love your old self, new self, all selves of the wonderful Prifti you are...thinking of you extra much these days and tomorrow--you're gonna kick ass, I know it!
    love you always,
    Korndingo

    ReplyDelete
  14. David,

    Thinking of you and Monika and sending prayers and best wishes your way. Bon courage!

    xxo
    Laura + Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dave -
    Love you, man. Rooting for you.
    Mike and Rich

    ReplyDelete
  16. God bless, and God speed, . . . kick this demon back to hell. Special energy and thoughts tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dave, I hope everything goes smoothly and the operation is a huge success!! I certainly have you on my mind and am wishing you a speedy recovery!! I also wanted to add that in case you didn't already know, you have always been a wonderful role model. I am so thankful to have had you as my teacher, but more importantly, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Prifti,
    I'm transmitting fiercely positive thoughts your way for tomorrow's procedure and your recovery.
    love, Anne F.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dave,

    Sending you love, luck and sunshine from San Diego.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  20. All our best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck! I'll keep up the prayers and good vibes. Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for being an awesome teacher and a great friend. I have a lot of great memories of the time we spent making pictures. I know we'll get to do it again soon.

    Love,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending you white light right now. Love to you both!
    xo
    Julie & Deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am thinking of you and you will be in my heart-as always.
    much love
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Big healing thoughts sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd say you've changed, you've become Clark Kent!

    I'm glad your operation was a success....good things do happen to good people! I wish you a speedy recovery....

    ReplyDelete