Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Update...


Today was a difficult day. We are still reeling from the last minute cancelation of the operation, and the uncertainty of what happens next.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield rejected my claim, and Monika has been spending the day compiling data and studies supplied by my doctors, and is writing a comprehensive appeal as we begin to fight this. Monika was told by BC/BS that this procedure is not considered effective, but we have learned that it was covered until October 2009 when they changed their policies.

After much discussion, we have instructed my doctors to reschedule the operation as soon as possible. They said it would be in April, but there is a chance that March 26th may work; so we are waiting for final word on the date. We decided to go forward even if all our appeals fail, because this represents my only/best chance to get cured of this disease.

We will cross the bridge of fund raising only if we have no alternative. I am deeply troubled by the thought of imposing on family, friends and community. Hopefully the coverage will come through...

Yesterday, as the denial of coverage and cancellation of the operation unfolded, Buddy, the 15 year old dog that lives with us (with our friend Deb) began to fail rapidly and died peacefully with Deb last night. He had a great life and was very old and fragile, but his passing added to an already surreal and stressful day.

Now I need to regroup and regain focus as my next goal gets pushed out a bit. I thought I would be in a hospital room by now, beginning my recovery from the operation, but instead I have to wait, and focus on strengthening my body and mind, and keep eating brussels sprouts and yams and taking tons of supplements.

I will post information on the appeals as I get more information.

Thank you for all your support and kind words...

12 comments:

  1. Contributing to save you would be an honor...just say the word.
    Buddy was a wonderful pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wrap our arms around you and Monika for support and help. This is a bump (hillock?) in the road. Your journey is worth the wait and the energy. Hang in there. Up with brussels sprouts and yams!
    Full speed ahead!
    XX Tom & Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all the best Dave,stay strong.. and eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong Prifti! . We're with Bob... say the word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never feel trouble by the thought of imposing- we will raise the money if we have to. But hopefully blue cross will do what they know is right.

    We love you.

    The Moltens

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I want to say is... try to release yourself from the feelings of burdening and imposition. You have spent the last 20-something (maybe more) years giving yourself to your community. You love the kids. You teach them skills and you have always been someone that the kids trust and identify with. Having graduated in 1991, I can say that you were one of a very select few which really influenced me at the time. In fact, the things you taught me have stayed with me through my entire life. You're the reason I have beautiful photographs of my kids. I didn't go on to become a photographer, but you taught me the beauty of a single second in time as captured on film. I have such a greater appreciation of things because of you, Dave. You have given and given and given for many years and you have influenced countless young souls. How could you have done anything better? The people that want to contribute (if it comes down to it) would do so because they love you. I hope the insurance comes through, but if it doesn't, do not feel as if you're imposing. I have cash waiting for you, and nothing in my life would make me feel better than to use it to help you get this operation. I can't possibly imagine a way of spending it that would do as much as if I were to help you. Please try to understand that.

    Positive energy and love,

    Heather (Norrod) Smith CCHS '91

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave - if the line of folks waiting to prep a meal for your household is any indication, you have touched many many who are looking for ways to share your present journey. Only too happy to lend a hand in organizing that energy into a FRIENDS OF DAVE FUND if you conclude that's a necessary option. From the sidelines I'm humbled by the support people seek to extend - let's harness it! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dave,

    Those for profit insurance jerks will not win!! We will all be there on the front lines!! Keep up with the yummy brussels sprouts and yams-sooo good roasted with olive oil!!

    Love you!!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David,

    Buddy was indeed a Bud... such a sweetheart, loving, dog. It's heartbreaking to learn of his passing, but he was surely as beloved as any companion could ever be. I'll always remember how gentle he was...

    I can't even begin to express my sadness and anger at BCBS and their lack of compassion; business for profit never equals people lives.

    But I do agree with Bob and everyone else... just say the word and you will most likely find yourself among the richest man in town...

    Be strong dear friend...

    love,
    s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Put me down for a contribution to the 'friends of dave' fund! ...and Dave if you can't 'impose' on friends for something like this, what's the point of friends?!

    I want to help with this, however possible. After my accident my healthcare provider tried to decline/reject every procedure; it's infuriating but they try to pick a fight just when your energy/emotions are most strained. I'll call you tomorrow - talking with Deb now about potential tactics to be pursued.

    Be strong, man, just as you always have been -

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just too cruel to even imagine but you and monika will get thru this, as you have everything else... fall into the hands that love you, they are many. count on us for anything you need, be it money or whole wheat bread that could break a window, hmmmmm, maybe bcbs???love you, robin and paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am incensed and outraged at the bullshit of our medical system. I know you and Monika have the muscle to get things right, imagine the thousands who don't have the words, energy, support. Sooo sad. Of course I am on the list, I'd like a sexyier acronym than FOD though, maybe WLP? WE LOVE PRIFTI!
    And to Heather above, you have made me so va klempt to see what you wrote about your teacher Dave and I know there are so many more of them out there too...
    beyond words,
    love always,korndingo

    ReplyDelete