Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Never a dull moment...

Now that the operation was postponed, the statute of limitations has run out on the temporary stent that I have in my bile duct. They last for 3 months, and the old one ran out last week, which is why we originally had the operation scheduled for the 3rd.

Monday, I started to have steady abdominal pain in my stent area, and was sent in for blood tests. I will have the stent replaced at MGH on Thursday afternoon. In the meantime, I'm home pumped up on pain meds... Money poorly spent by BCBS for a procedure that the operation would have made irrelevant.

Last week was disappointing. It was a difficult emotional transition to shift from the focused optimism I was carrying into the surgery, to the shock of the loss of coverage and cancellation of the surgery. I have quickly re-focused my concentration on the 26th and have been bolstered tremendously by the out pouring of support by my people in my time of need. When I realized that we could have raised all the money for the operation through the generosity of our family and friends, it took my breath away and allowed me to look past the set back, and ahead again to the operation. I felt like George Bailey at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life"...very rich in every way. And the fact that Monika's appeal was successful, and I won't need to tap that support is even better.

We are blessed to live in such a community as this, and to have you all in our lives. THANK YOU for your continued support.

I doubt I'd still be in this without you all behind me...

3 comments:

  1. Hello David and Monika,

    Best wishes to you both right now, given the ups and downs. Our thoughts are with you.

    I've been out in the fields a bit, walking around. High water from the flooding river has spilled over into the fields, and Canada Geese are paddling around where last fall we had lettuce and the last of the bell peppers . . . honk, honk, honk. It's pretty wet still. Twice, the muck grabbed a rubber boot and pulled it off.

    Spinach from last year is starting to perk up, and when it leafs out, we'll bring some over? How you feeling about parsnips? Parsnip soup? The winter puts the sweet in them. Sounds as if the ol' stomach may not cooperate. I'm on stand-by for you, farm-wise. And all those old things I'm finding . . . I think Nora wrote you that the offer still stands. Take care. Ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave and Monika,
    I am so grateful for this blog. I hope the stent replacement went well and will absolutely relieve the abdominal pain. Will focus my positive energy on March 26 for both of you. I am glad to hear Deb is there and you with her as she must miss her dear pet. Don't hesitate to ask if I can help in any way. Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping all went well today. With you all the way. The 26th is on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete